Many people suffer from anxiety before they visit the dental practice for their appointment. It is a common theme with patients where they’re fearful of their teeth becoming vulnerable or suffer from discomfort. These are just a handful of reasons why anxiety is common when visiting the dentist.
Modern dentistry has evolved a great deal. Today, advanced dental technology has allowed dentists to use an anxiety solution that will keep you calm and comfortable in the dental practice. This solution is known as Sedation Dentistry.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is taken up by patients as it’s proven to calm anxious feelings. Sedation therapy is a technique that helps to keep patients relaxed in a conscious state. Apart from anxiety, sedation dentistry may be administered for the following reasons:
- You experience from phobias before, during and after treatment
- You suffer from psychological stress and trauma, thinking about negative experiences
- Help to reduce stress and nerves
- You’re resistant to local anaesthesia
Sedation dentistry will only be administered if it’s necessary, and you’re comfortable with it. The dentist will explain how it will work and how it helps your anxiety.
What Are The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
Aside from curbing your anxiety, your oral health also benefits from sedation. Here are the benefits you can reap:
- Less Dental Appointments – Any dental concern you have needs examining and treating by the dentist. This doesn’t work if you continue to show anxiety and nerves. With sedation dentistry, it consciously relaxes you. This helps the dentist to work on your teeth and improve oral health. You’re more likely to be rescheduled for another appointment if the dentist cannot work on your teeth.
- Treatment Becomes Easier – The more relaxed you are, the easier the treatment. Dentists are well versed in improving your teeth. When you’re relaxed, your stress reduces. This helps the dentist work to give you the smile you’re looking for.
- Forgetting The Appointment – An asset of sedation dentistry is patients aren’t expected to remember the appointment experience. Patients aren’t expected to have any recollection of what happened, and this is something that can benefit patients, particularly if they’ve had traumatic experiences.
- Reduce Gag Reflexes – Sedation is particularly helpful to those who suffer from gag reflexes. This happens when there is an urge to sputter or choke. These usually occur during a psychological response, and sedatives help to address this with greater comfort during treatment.
Is your child anxious when visiting the dentist? Prepare them to reduce anxiety with these tips.
Solutions are available to curb your anxiety and nerves. The sedation is safe and secure. The best thing about it is you’ll get the teeth and smile you want whilst you’re in a relaxed state. You can start looking forward to visiting the dentist.
Garran Dental is ready to serve you and your smile. Click here to get in touch and check in with us!